Image: The State of Queensland. Photography: Bruce Peebles.
By Elizabeth Fabri
THE Queensland Government has called on the Federal Government to support a new gas development package that would see new infrastructure built across the State to secure domestic supply.
On Sunday 16 April, QLD Natural Resources minister Anthony Lynham put forward an offer to Federal Resources minister Matt Canavan, and requested a meeting to discuss a jointly funded study into State infrastructure options and funding to support the development of new pipelines.
“Urgent action is required to increase domestic gas supply to protect industry and to secure jobs,” Dr Lynham said.
“Queensland is already ahead of the pace with the measures we have underway, including land on offer where the gas will be for sale in Australia only.
“We are looking at further and larger land releases in the Surat Basin with the same Australian market conditions.
Dr Lynham said there was a lot more that could be done, and access to new pipelines would open up potential gas producing areas like the Bowen and Galilee Basins, and put downward pressure on a looming east coast gas shortage.
Australian Petroleum Production and Exploration Association (APPEA) director Rhys Turner said the QLD Government’s willingness to engage with the Commonwealth echoed what the industry had been saying for some time.
“Developing new fields to bring more gas to market is the most important part of the equation right now,” Mr Turner said.
“Exploration is at a 30-year low; regulatory costs and delays are discouraging development as well as adding to the cost paid by our customers.
“We must also avoid an infrastructure deficit; Queensland has promising gas fields that can be developed in the Galilee and Bowen Basins.
“Unfortunately, there is a real risk that this gas may be stranded because of a lack of pipeline infrastructure.”